About the Course
This complete distance learning programme has been developed by Angela Dunbar working in conjunction with Carol Wilson. The training is aimed at coaches who want to learn new ways to facilitate clients in a non-directive and creative way. Angela Dunbar is lead trainer on this programme and is a Certified Clean Language Facilitator, immersed in all things “Clean” since 2001 and has had extensive training with David Grove, Penny Tompkins and James Lawley and others.
You will learn how to ask Clean Language questions in a structured but flexible process suitable for coaching. This programme covers the full set of Clean Language questions created by New Zealand psychotherapist David Grove in the 1970s and 1980’s plus includes some principles from his later work with Space and Emergent Knowledge.
The programme consists of an overall series of three modules, which together will build your knowledge, skills and confidence to use clean language in a variety of different frameworks and uses, from exploring a feeling to structuring a whole coaching session.
Module Two Details
Duration: Class time 5 hours total plus 7 hours practice & audio recordings
What you will gain:
This Module is entitled "Exploring the Parts and Finding a Whole" and you will learn:
• How to think systemically to explore the different parts of the client’s inner world, uncovering the connection and relationships
• You will learn how to encourage integration without direction
• How to explore higher – level thinking patterns that habitually affect a client’s actions, attitudes and results.
• All this will lead to a greater understanding of how to use Clean Language in a structured, confident way to bring
about positive, sustained changes for the client
What this course will cover:
• Recap Model One – Starting, Developing Metaphors, Exploring Conditions and Actions, Finishing
• The Symbolic Modelling process (Created by Penny Tompkins and James Lawley)
• Thinking Systems – how systems are structured, sustained and altered
• What is a Part?
• Parts and the Relationships between them – building up your understanding of a system
• Using the ‘Relationship’ and ‘Time’ Questions to identify how the system works and spot changes when they occur
• How to get a Higher Level Metaphor for a Higher Level Thought Structure
• Identity and Beliefs
• Getting the Intention and Interest of the Different Parts of a System
• Links to other techniques, ie NLP, TA, etc
• Capturing the Moment – What’s Happening Now?
• The Practice Sessions
These will take place after each teleclass day, as a recorded teleconference call, allowing the participants an
opportunity to practice the skills they have learned. Your tutor will listen to all recorded sessions and give you
individual, personalized feedback in writing on how your skills are developing.
Recordings and transcripts to review
Individual exercises to develop own model of a system
Personal action plans
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
• Model a coachee’s wider inner thinking structures around a particular issue or goal
• Use Clean Language questions to focus attention where it is most likely to encourage a shift in thinking
• Use the ‘relationship’ and ‘time’ questions with greater proficiency to gain a greater understanding of your client’s
• Learn specialist questions to help establish more about the individual parts of a system and how they relate to each
How your learning is supported:
• Three teleclasses of one hour and 40 minutes's duration each
• Audio recordings of teleclasses as required
• Audio recordings of exercise demonstrations
• Written transcripts of exercise demonstrations
• Comprehensive reading material including a 21 page workshop manual
• Written assignments
• Supervised, recorded practice sessions with a partner followed by:
• Personalized, detailed one-to-one feedback from your programme director
• A total of 12 hours supervised learning activity plus further optional individual activity
What it will cost:
• £198.00 (£178.20 early bird) private inds, £396.00 (£356.40 early bird) corporate rate
Tues 12th Feb, 26th Feb and 12th March, 11.00am to 12.40pm UK time
or:Thurs 23rd May, Weds 5th June and Weds 19th June, 11.00am to 12.40pm UK time (10:00 GMT).
and again on:
Tues 12th Nov, 26th Nov and 10th Dec, 11.00am to 12.40pm UK time (11:00 GMT)
Places are limited to eight participants – reserve your space now by emailing email@example.com
Attendance of Module Two is a pre-requisite for participating in Module Three taking place later in the year.
Clean Language and Metaphor Overview
Clean Language was originally developed by psychologist David Grove in the 1980s when he worked with traumatic memory patients. He discovered that people tended naturally to speak in metaphor when describing their experiences and that the most effective treatment was to honour their metaphors by asking open questions which reflected their exact words.
Over a period of years, David identified key questions that would least influence people in their metaphorical journey, and he gave this process the name, “Clean Language”. The technique was observed by therapists Penny Tompkins and James Lawley, who devoted several years to modelling and expanding David’s techniques into a methodology called 'Symbolic Modelling'. A rich collection of information and articles is available on their website www.cleanlanguage.co.uk.
About the trainer
Angela Dunbar is a qualified coach, accredited with the Association for Coaching, and a former council member, holding the position of “Head of Professional Forums”. On behalf of the AC, Angela has been helping to develop coaches through the facilitation of a local co-coaching forum, as well as managing all forums across the country.
Angela is an active coach, working one-to-one with a long list of clients. She is also the director of her own training & development consultancy, in business for the last 14 years, specializing in helping coaches to find their niche within the corporate environment or as an independent. Ever fascinated by the power of metaphor, Angela works with people to help them discover their own creative solutions and find the message within, to convey in the manner they feel most confident in expressing.
Angela is a Master NLP Practitioner and a Certified Clean Language facilitator, and delivers Clean Language training workshops to coaches as a lecturer at Oxford Brookes University. As a trainer, Angela has been key presenter on an extensive range of training programmes within major organisations, including Coventry Building Society, Colt Telecommunications PLC, HSA, Roland UK and many more. Angela is the author of the book “Essential Life Coaching Skills” published by Routledge and available to order from all good book stores..
What people have said about Angela training Clean Language:
“I learnt a lot - I had come across Clean Language before but only touched on it superficially and as Angela pointed out so well, there is a helluva lot more to it than just "sticking with the client`s language"... I can see that trying to get into the client`s metaphorical language will be a real help to exploring some deeper issues and making connections, Thanks again” Alison Dale, Government Office for London
“Extremely thought-provoking – giving me a practical tool / application to take forward and enhancing my self-awareness within my corporate coaching work” Clive Cary, Momenta
“Wonderful clarity and energy. Very effective at dealing with all kinds of questions” Peggy O’Neil, The Works Partnership
What previous participants have said about the Clean Coaching Distance Learning Programmes :
"The group was good and I really benefited from the practicing but the best bit was the fantastic feedback. Angela took a considerable amount of time and effort to listen to every word and provided personalised feedback which I found extremely useful. All queries and questions were answered fully and despite the fact it was distance learning I felt very supported – more so than on most face-to-face courses" Liz Ford, Ford Consulting
"Great course! All parts were great; excellent explanations, right combination of lecture, practice, debriefing of practice; really well done and put together; right pace; plenty of time for questions; felt heard and listened to; Very pleased with results, not only as a coach, but as a “client” in the demos; fascinating results" Joann Parks, USA
"I enjoyed and learnt greatly from both the input and the feedback on our sessions. It has given me a new tool in my coaching tool kit – one which seems to work well with those who are stuck with loads of ‘stuff’! Our sessions felt like a safe environment to practice, which was particularly useful" Sharon Langford, UK
"I think that this has significant value and complements the NLP and prior coaching knowledge and skills that I have. I really liked the way that the programme was designed to get me coaching immediately and I feel I can use this method with clients. And the practical follow-up sessions were extremely insightful. I’m really happy that I took this course as it has opened up a coaching door that was previously only half-open. What I am learning feels right to me" Maggie Ridding, Spain
“The teleconference sessions were extremely clear and easy to follow (& learn!); the discipline of getting on with practicing it was good; Angela’s following up and sharing of subsequent email dialogue was very helpful and allowed me to feel I could ask questions and share experience. Angela - Your care and attention to each of us in this learning module has been excellent and has really enabled and supported a great learning environment. I have enjoyed the module and the EK learning and feel I have gained a lot from it” Adrian Goodall, UK
"Even more useful and interesting than expected...I’m thoroughly enjoying it, and looking forward to the further developments...."
N S, Midlands